I am over at The Indie Joint today with a post about how my life threatening allergy to bee stings inspired my short story, The Last of the Lavender, included in Whispers of the Past.
Let’s all welcome Robbie Cheadle to the Indie Joint! It’s her first time here (but, I hope it won’t be her last) so let’s make her feel right at home.
Robbie, as the Warden here, you have all our attention. It’s not like they can go anywhere so take as much time as you need! Hahaha
I am terrified of bees. As a child, I never used to worry overly about bees and bee stings, but over the course of my life, each time I have been stung by a bee my bodies reaction has been stronger.
I don’t suffer from anaphylaxis which is when the venom from a bee sting sends the person into shock. My blood pressure doesn’t drop, and I don’t have difficulty breathing. I am one of the rare people in the world who gets a bacterial infection, which quickly leads to blood poisoning, from a bee string.
The first time this happened, I was quite ignorant about what was happening. I got stung on my middle toe by a bee while walking around in the grass outside. It was painful and I took an antihistamine and covered the site of the sting with an antibacterial cream and a plaster. By the following morning, my entire foot was swollen and red. I had a busy workday ahead, so I went to work anyway, wearing a slipper on the affected foot. By mid-day, my leg had swollen up to just below my knee and I felt unwell and feverish. I went home and lay down for the afternoon. When my husband came home, I asked him to take me to the emergency room as I didn’t feel well enough to drive. The doctor diagnosed blood poisoning and I was given a ten-day course of strong antibiotics, cortisone and antihistamines. The doctor thought the infection might have been introduced into my body with the stinger and had nothing to do with the bee itself.
The next time I got stung by a bee, just over a year ago, I initially seemed to be okay. I had recently had a throat infection and had been on antibiotics for a week. I didn’t notice any significant swelling until the following day. My entire foot swelled up as well as my ankle. A red line ran from the site of the sting up my foot and past my ankle. Once again, I had to go to the emergency room and have a 10-day course of antibiotics. I also had cortisone and antihistamines. This time it took three weeks before I could walk properly on my foot.